Sunday, March 29, 2009

Curragh Rugby Club


Town Cup Final Curragh V Kilkenny, Uploaded by M+MD.

My first memory of Curragh Rugby club is travelling to some far off place like Navan on a cold Sunday to a Towns Cup match. I was about 11 and had a developing interest in the game. I had even been to Lansdowne Road to “see” Ireland play England. I had travelled up with Barney and Joan and while they managed to buy a ticket I was hopped over the turnstile. I remember the crush in the terraces – occasionally I could see snatches of the game – but it was exciting to be there.


Barney 1980
Uploaded by M+MD

Navan in early spring was a different story for an eleven year old. It may have been the final and it may not have been Navan, but what I remember most is the full back playing for The Curragh. He was the star of the game kicking penalties and defending against all-comers. “Who’s he?” I asked. “Ssh” said Barney and then soto voce he said “That’s Dermot Earley, he’s going under the same Sean McDermott because of the ban”. Others will remember the outcome of that match, I don’t recall who won. I hope this revelation doesn’t embarrass General Earley or cause a tribunal of enquiry and a decision to reverse the result for the fielding an illegal player.

During the early seventies Curragh was around for us from time to time, but I don’t remember Barney being very involved. But then in 1977 I arrived home from college one week-end to be told that he had been elected President of the rugby club. Maybe others can remember why, but it was a strange appointment to me. I remember Gerry McMahon was Chairman and I think Donagh O’Keeffe was Captain. I think Donagh and Barney worked together in the A&Q school – maybe that’s the key to the mystery. But like all things Barney threw himself into the job wholeheartedly. I remember him explaining that the President was really an honorary position and that past presidents didn’t even attend committee meetings. But he was at committee meetings every week. There was a lot of activity and army politics associated with the development of the club house and facilities on the Green Road.

Then there was the trip to Ross on Wye. I only saw the photos and heard (some of) the stories. My strongest memory is that Barney arrived home with a hat. It was like something that Micheál MacLíammóir would wear. He called it the president’s hat. There is a photograph somewhere I hope I can find it. I know he made a big impression in Ross-on-Wye because in March 1981 just 5 months before he died I joined him on his one and only pilgrimage to Cheltenham (horse racing was his other sporting love). Joan and I travelled over with him and we stayed in Ross-on-Wye with friends from that rugby trip.


Bob Cole
uploaded by M+MD

The other memories are following the team – especially through that Towns Cup campaign with Bob Cole in 1978. Joan knitted black and yellow scarves; monkey hats and made a great big Curragh banner as well as lots of flags. I believed for many years that we lost that match because of the case of champagne that Barney brought in the boot of his car for the post match celebrations. It was returned to the mess the following day for a full refund.


Towns Cup Curragh V Athy 1978, Uploaded by M+MD.

As a family we continued our association with The Curragh as supporters. Brian played with the team for a couple of years. But mainly the connection continued through the Dobey Cup. This was run as an underage blitz every January. The cup was ridiculously big for such a competition – larger than life you could say – just like Barney.

No comments:

Labels